Skip to main content

Flapjacks!

Emailed the company that makes my favourite flapjack to find out the nutritional information for them. They replied this morning and it doesn't make pretty reading. The values for the 145g flapjack are as follows:

NON HYDROGENATED FAT 28.7g
PROTEIN 11.6g
CARBOHYDRATE 92.4g!!
ENERGY 660kcal!!

Guess my flapjack eating days are over. I work on roughly 1 unit of insulin for 10g of carbohydrates. I usually allow myself 8 or 9 units per meal. Therefore I could have a flapjack for my meal, but nothing else.

Worked out my average BG for the past 2 weeks. It was 7.5mmol/l, so am fairly happy. It could be a little more controlled, but I will discuss this with my diabetes nurse at my appointment on Friday.

Josh is being really hungry at the moment, so we (mostly Claire) are struggling to keep him happy. It didn't help that when she went to get him weighed yesterday, he wasn't keeping up with the growth curves. We have no faith in these curves as they don't seem to allow for breast fed children. The Health Visitor didn't help either as she asked questions such as was Claire eating 3 good meals a day, did she get to bed on time each night and was I being a supportive husband?! At least they didn't suggest that she was producing poor quality milk, as I have heard reports that another Health Visitor said. I know that they are trying to do their job, but they really don't help by their patronising manner. At least Claire could tell them that she had to eat three meals a day as I was a diabetic!

She has an appointment today with the doctor to look at Abby and Josh's eczema. They both appear to have it, although it is not distressing them. Claire has it too, but it has cleared up greatly since she cut out dairy produce. Maybe the children are intolerant too? When Abby was younger, we asked whether there were any tests for this and they said that there weren't. Maybe it is different now we are in Birmingham.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Prescribing Data

April 2019 - Libre prescriptions dispensed in Primary Care in EnglandRankCCGPrescriptionsT1s%T11Eastern Cheshire CCG38288543.2%2Southport and Formby CCG19956035.5%3South Lincolnshire CCG23667535.0%4Rushcliffe CCG17251033.7%5Isle of Wight CCG24983030.0%6Nottingham West CCG12843529.4%7Wigan Borough CCG4151,46028.4%8Nene CCG8332,96528.1%9Trafford CCG26798027.2%10Richmond CCG17367525.6%11Corby CCG8232025.6%12High Weald Lewes Havens CCG17974024.2%13North West Surrey CCG3261,40523.2%14Southampton CCG2751,19023.1%15Guildford and Waverley CCG20490022.7%16Nottingham North & East CCG17276022.6%17Surrey Downs CCG2531,14022.2%18North Hampshire CCG2221,01521.9%19South West Lincolnshire CCG12759021.5%20Manchester CCG4562,15521.2%21Halton CCG12561520.3%22Lincolnshire West CCG2011,01019.9%23Wirral CCG3241,64019.8%24Havering CCG2201,12019.6%25Hillingdon CCG2091,10518.9%26West Hampshire CCG4672,52018.5%27Devon CCG10705,79018.5%28Coastal West Sussex CCG4302,34018.4%29Liverpool CCG4042,20018.4%30St …

The CCG Project!

In order to find out the situation around the country for Libre prescribing now that the national policy has been published, I have made the decision to contact many of them to find out their plans.  I have arbitrarily chosen to contact all English CCGs that in December 2018 prescribed Libre via Primary Care to less than 5% of their population (and one specific request from a group member).  I had hoped this would be a small list, but there are 135 CCGs on the list.  I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I'm committed to doing this and feeding back.  It worked before and hopefully this level of scrutiny will bring similar results.

Below is a screenshot of the base document I am sending to each of the CCGs - it has some fields that are merge fields, so don't worry about the brackets and codes in the document (I found a typo, which has now been corrected too)
The major piece of work with respect to this is finding the right person to contact.  However, I have some m…

Shut the stable door before....oops

One of my get well cards!
On Tuesday 23rd April I was leading my wife's horse from the field. My daughter was behind with her horse (we're honestly not that posh.. We do all the work ourselves and do it cost effectively.). A third horse decided it didn't want to be left in the field, so pushed past and frightened the horse I was leading. It bolted and ran straight into me, fracturing my tibial plateau. (the part of the tibia bone just below the knee). The next day, I was operated on under GA to permanently pin/plate the knee area back together. See x-rays below for what they did.

Continued below, but in case you don't want to keep reading, here is the current situation as of 1st June

I'm still at least four weeks off being able to bend my leg, but am basically OK.  Claire has all-but had her diagnosis of early-onset rheumatoid arthritis.  Not great, but hopefully treatment will start soon.

And...as of 5th June, I'm now able to bend the leg and put full weight throu…